September 23, 2011

The Playseum!

To celebrate Michael's birthday yesterday, we ventured into Capitol Hill to visit a brand-new children's "playseum." It reminded me a lot of other cities' children's museums, but it was squished into a beautiful old brownstone in the heart of a trendy part of town. There were various pretend play rooms to delight the kids: a pirate's ship and island where you could dig for buried treasure (see picture), a grocery store and restaurant, a pet store with live animals, and a train play area to name a few. Everywhere you turned there were things to dress up in and/or touch. The kids both loved it and never wanted to leave!!

The only (major) downer? The parking situation in this part of town is horrendous! If you are lucky enough to nab a metered spot, they are 1-hour-only. I heard stories from other moms about getting a ticket just because they had re-fed the meter (apparently a no-no in tight, touristy Capitol Hill). I was kind of stressed the whole time we were there, knowing that I would have to go out, walk several blocks, re-feed the meter, and pray that we wouldn't get a ticket/tow anyway. (This picture, with Katie presiding as judge in her chambers while Mommy stood in jail, was sort of apropos.) The front desk ladies so kindly offered to watch Katie while I ran out with Michael, and all ended well. Definitely a fun time, but we may have to keep visits to this museum for special occasions!

No comments: