January 19, 2011

Say What?

Well, it's official... We've been handed a reference to a speech therapist for Michael...sigh. But, before we get into that, it's time to report on how well he's doing otherwise! Michael had his 15-month appointment today, and he passed (almost) everything with flying colors. The doctor noted that he is a vibrant, happy, curious, tall-and-skinny boy who just loves being a toddler. The only thing he is lagging on? His speech development. Unfortunately, he still is not saying any words, not even mama or dada, on a consistent basis. The good news? The doctor (who is quite frank about things) feels in her gut that absolutely nothing is wrong, as the rest of his social cues (eye contact, pointing, interaction, etc.) are perfectly normal. However, she did refer us to a speech therapist to get things checked out...just in case. So, we'll look into that soon. Meanwhile, we'll just bask in our little boy and his newest measurements: HEIGHT - 33 inches (89th percentile), WEIGHT - 24 lbs., 14 oz. (49th percentile).

2 comments:

crismccabe said...

Him and Jacqueline can have a nice quite friendship as they sit in speech therapy waiting rooms together. We got recommended at 15 months too because I just wasn't sure that Mama and Dada were consistent. Pass along any tips you find out along the way. We can use them!!

Johanna said...

Although Teddy is two months behind Michael, I suspect he may get the same referral at his next appointment. He is also not really saying any words yet, though he did scream (for the first time) "MAMAMAMAMA" really loud the other night at Costco when I went down a different aisle. Jack was slow to speak too and (I may have already mentioned this) my mom always said to enjoy the silence, as soon as they start talking they'll never shut up! I know Michael is fine!